Sparkle Through Autumn With Our Fall Car Care Guide
Your car’s paint and wax job are constantly under attack. The stakes change from season-to-season and autumn is surely a prime offender.
Fight back and be prepared by using the correct products when washing or detailing your vehicle. That way, the job will be easier and the results will last longer.
Here is our list of five things you can use on your car to ensure optimum results, with insights from Jim Dvorak, technical expert at Mother’s car care products.
1. Washing: Use a car wash product that is designed for automotive use to avoid problems over time.
“Don’t use dish soap or it’ll remove wax and is harsh on the finish,” Dvorak said.
When you shop for a car wash, check its lubricity and make certain that it contains scratch protector. Also, find one that won’t strip waxes, sealants or ceramic coatings.
2. Cleaning: Have you ever used clay? It’s used by professional car rebuilders, detailers, and body shops to remove embedded grains of metal, tree sap, bird waste, and paint overspray.
“Clay bar kits remove pollens, brake dust, ash, and other environmental fallout and it’s a must before polishing and waxing,” Dvorak said.
3. Trim Care: “Many people neglect their vehicle’s trim, which can actually lead to further issues when dirt or grime gets stuck under the trim,” he said.
4. Paint Care and Protection: To keep your car’s paint fresh-looking, there are products out there that feature cutting-edge abrasives that can quickly remove imperfections on any coated or uncoated painted surface.
When it comes to paint care and protection products, make sure they contain abrasives that work gently but effectively, in order to avoid scratches and other issues down the road.
5. Interior Care: The best products out there for your car’s interior should multi-task, which means they can be used on vinyl, leather, plastic, and rubber simultaneously.
Ground-in dirt and annoying stains are the prime offenders, and interior products designed specifically for vehicle interiors do the job by protecting without drying, fading, and cracking. Detailing your leather seats is an essential part of the necessary maintenance because it will deteriorate without sufficient care.
You don’t need to be a pro to detail your vehicle properly, but it sure makes it a whole lot easier by using the right products. Always do a little research before you buy anything to clean or maintain your car’s exterior and/or interior and then drive it with pride.
Other items to have in hand (or bucket) whenever you want to wash or wax your car, include:
- Special hose nozzle
- Grit guards
- Special washing mitts
- Wheel brushes
- Special tire cleaners
- Microfiber towels
- Car dash restorers
- Interior dust removal devices (aka “Dust Buster”)