Reduce Allergies, Improve Visibility With The Right Blades, Mats
Winter can turn your beautiful car into a filmy mess overnight. The good news: You can make your vehicle healthier and safer with two simple solutions.
Here’s our guide to rubber floor mats and replacing your windshield wiper blades.
Not only do custom-fit rubber floor mats add aesthetic appeal to a vehicle’s interior, but they protect carpet and your passengers.
By preventing moisture from becoming embedded in the carpet, rubber floor mats help reduce the amount of dust and allergens inside. Clean carpets also keep the air in your vehicle from becoming musty.
Tips for buying rubber floor mats.
- Look for a product that comes with a warranty. Such safeguards give consumers peace of mind.
- Insist on custom-fitted mats. A mat designed specifically for your make, model and year fits best and provides maximum protection.
- Check the cleats. Make sure the mat can grip the carpet so it won’t slide around during driving.
- Protect your investment. Durable mats still need a thorough rinsing and the interior should still be vacuumed. Wash the mats regularly and clean the interior as they dry.
Wiper blades are easy to forget about during summer. But now is the time to make sure the blades aren’t frayed or cracked as the harsh winter weather sets in.
Your worn blades also may “chatter” when first used after months of sitting idle, skipping and chopping across the windshield without the wiper edge flipping over on the backswing across the window.
Tips for selecting your next set of wiper blades:
- Do your wiper blades have cracks, frayed edges? Drop by and ask your service advisor to inspect your wiper blades for your region and weather.
- Choosing the right blade also depends on your local driving conditions – do you need a “hybrid” blade for traveling in both rain and snow?
- Do you live in snowy areas? Consider a “winter” wiper with an extra wide blade designed for heavy snow.
- Some blades are designed with a rain repellent to help whisk away moisture.
- Don’t forget the rear wiper blade on your SUVs and crossovers. Visibility out your back window is easy to overlook, but very important nonetheless.
- Ask about blades made out of silicon composites. The extra investment pays off in safety—they don't freeze up in colder temperatures like blades made solely of rubber.