Give Your Vehicle A Shiny Winter Coat
To get a winter ride that shines, you must have a coat of wax. And to get the ultra-auto show, glossy shine, it’s best to use ceramic-based waxes and polishes which are today’s most popular products, to give you that special shine for your vehicle.
Traditionally, carnauba and silicon products were the staple for car pros to get that shiny look. Mike Pennington of Meguiar’s explained why the change.
“Carnauba products typically will give you a nice glow and will give some good protection,” Pennington said. “But they have the least number of protective qualities.
“Polymer waxes were the next generation of protective barriers. And while they are much better than carnauba, the now popular ceramic-based products give you the most protection against the elements and they tend to last the longest.”
When looking to achieve both beauty and protection, Pennington continued to explain the reasons to use ceramic-based products.
“Whether you go on a road trip, a weekend getaway, or simply a day trip, your vehicle will be exposed to a variety of contaminants,” Pennington said. “A protective layer of wax will provide a sacrificial barrier that allows you time to wash and/or wipe off any contaminants that may damage the top coat of your paint if left on too long.”
Ceramic-based wax and polishes provide protection and durability.
- Foremost Protection: When using ceramic-based waxes and polishes, they provide a durable and protective layer for your car's paintwork. Ceramic-based waxes bond chemically with the surface to form a strong and resilient shield, much stronger than the older traditional waxes.
- Remarkable Durability: Ceramic-based products give you a durability that is far more reliable when compared to conventional waxes and polishes.
The reason for that durability is the ceramic particles used in ceramic-based formulas are highly resistant to heat, chemicals, and abrasion. This gives you longer-lasting protection from harsh weather conditions, constant exposure to road debris and frequent washing.
- Hydrophobic Properties: Ceramic coatings possess exceptional hydrophobic properties, which means they are effective at repelling water and other liquids that can damage your coat of paint.
The hydrophobic nature of the new ceramic waxes creates a self-cleaning effect, allowing water, dirt, and grime to slide off the surface of your vehicle. This keeps your car clean for a longer period of time and makes it easier to wash and maintain it.
- Enhanced Gloss and Depth: Drivers find that one of the most visually appealing aspects of ceramic-based waxes and polishes is their ability to provide an amazing gloss and depth to their car's paintwork.
The ceramic particles in the ceramic-based waxes fill in microscopic imperfections on the surface of your car, creating a shiny and deep finish that boosts the color and clarity of your vehicle's paint. The result is a showroom-worthy luster that draws attention wherever you go.
How to Achieve High Gloss Effect
When it comes to achieving that show-room look, it’s more about the process used with these ceramic-based products. What it comes down to is the technique and the timing of the application.
“Yes, there is a technique to achieve a high gloss shine and look for your car,” Pennigton said, adding, “Keep in mind maximum shine and gloss are created before you apply a dedicated car wax/protection product. That’s the key to having a smooth-as-glass and a defect-free finish.”
- Use a clay bar which creates that smooth-as-glass finish before applying wax.
- Apply a liquid compound such as a “polish” to optimize gloss.
Use your polish prior to applying a “wax” to your vehicle. The polish will help remove defects such as swirls, stains or oxidation.
“The effects can really be seen on darker colored vehicles,” Pennington said.
- Alternatively, use a polish spray which goes on quickly and easily.
“It is a spray or wipe-off gloss enhancing booster applied prior to your wax,” Pennington explained.
- Apply polishes and waxes by hand with a foam and/or a microfiber applicator pad. Look around for products that help you apply these products.
“The most important thing to remember is to always read the directions on the product to make sure you are using products the way they are intended to get the best results,” Pennington said.