Bring Out The Summer Shine With Ceramic-Based Waxes, Polishes
Make your summer ride shine with a fresh coat of wax. But not just any old wax will do to achieve that auto-show glossy shine.
Ceramic-based waxes and polishes have become the “it” product for achieving the ultimate shine for your vehicle. Traditionally, carnauba and silicon products have been a staple of car pros for years.
“Carnauba products typically will give you a nice glow and will give some good protection,” Mike Pennington from Meguiar’s said recently. “But they will have the least number of protective qualities.
“Polymer waxes were the next generation of protective barriers,” Pennington said. “And while they are much better than carnauba, ceramic-based products give you the most protection against the elements and they tend to last the longest.”
But it isn’t just about looks, it’s about both beauty and protection.
“Whether you go on a road trip, a weekend getaway, or simply a day trip, your vehicle will be exposed to a variety of contaminants,” Pennington said. “A protective layer of wax will be a sacrificial barrier that allows you time to wash and/or wipe off any contaminants that if left on too long, may damage the top coat of your paint.”
Benefits of using a ceramic-based wax
- Supreme Protection: Ceramic-based waxes and polishes create a durable and protective layer on your car's paintwork. Unlike traditional waxes, ceramics bond chemically with the surface, forming a strong and resilient shield.
- Extreme Durability: Ceramic-based products offer superior durability compared to conventional waxes and polishes.
The ceramic particles used in these formulas are highly resistant to heat, chemicals, and abrasion. As a result, they provide long-lasting protection that can withstand harsh weather conditions, frequent washing, and exposure to road debris.
- Hydrophobic Properties: Ceramic coatings possess exceptional hydrophobic properties, meaning they repel water and other liquids effectively.
This hydrophobic nature creates a self-cleaning effect, allowing water, dirt, and grime to slide off the surface with ease. This not only keeps your car cleaner for longer but also makes it easier to wash and maintain.
- Enhanced Gloss and Depth: One of the most visually appealing aspects of ceramic-based waxes and polishes is their ability to provide an incredible gloss and depth to your car's paintwork.
The ceramic particles fill in microscopic imperfections on the surface, creating a smooth and reflective finish that enhances the color and clarity of your vehicle's paint. The result is a showroom-worthy shine that turns heads wherever you go.
Achieving High Gloss Effect
When it comes to achieving that high-gloss shine, it comes down to technique and the timing of the application. It’s more about the process and the technique used with these products.
“Yes, there is a technique to achieve the high-gloss/shine look for your car,” Pennigton said. “Keep in mind maximum shine and gloss are created prior to applying a dedicated car wax/protection product.
“The key is to have a smooth-as-glass finish and a defect-free finish.”
- Use a clay bar to create a smooth-as-glass finish before applying wax.
- Apply a liquid compound such as a “polish” to optimize gloss and should be used prior to applying a “wax” to your vehicle. A polish helps remove defects such as swirls, stains or oxidation.
“The effects are really experienced on darker colored vehicles,” Pennington said.
- Alternatively, use a polish spray. They go on quickly and easily.
“It is a spray on wipe off gloss enhancing booster applied prior to your wax.”
- Apply polishes and waxes by hand using a foam and/or a microfiber applicator pad. Look for products.
“The most important thing to remember is to always read the directions to be sure and use products the way they are intended for best results,” Pennington said.